Night Club / Bar Fight
Were you injured in a night club or bar fight?
South Florida is known for it's vibrant nightlife scene. Night club and bar owners and managers are responsible for providing patrons with safe property conditions. When these safety measures are overlooked, people can become seriously injured in a bar fight or personal assaults. A night club or bar fight can potentially ruin someone's life - physically, emotionally, and financially.
Cases such as these involve premises liability law. Often, a night club or bar fight arises from negligent security such as lack of bouncer staffing, video camera surveillance and proper lighting. Bouncers can also attack patrons under the guise that they were “just doing their job”. Owners of bars, restaurants and other business properties that serve the public are responsible for taking reasonable measures to protect their clientele from assault and injuries caused by unruly or drunk customer, including the prevention of foreseeable criminal attacks on the premises.
If you were injured in a bar fight, or were otherwise assaulted on the premises of a private business or municipal property, you are entitled to seek full and fair money damages for all your injuries including:
- Reasonable past and future medical treatment
- Past and/or future lost wages
- Past and future lost fringe benefits of employment
- Past and future pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Out-of-pocket expenses for things such as transportation to medical providers and medical co-pays.
Factors to Consider in a Night Club/ Bar Fight Case:
- Were you attacked in a poorly lit area of the bar?
- Did the establishment serve alcohol to your attacker when he/she was plainly intoxicated?
- Were there an adequate amount of bouncers or security to protect the patrons?
- Were there other security measures that the owner could have taken to prevent injury?
- How many times have the police been called to the property?
- Are weapons frequently found on patrons?
- If a weapon was used, should it have been kept out at the door?
- How did security react to the situation?
Who is Liable in Night Club / Bar Fight Cases?
No one can be expected to be protected against every possible action or crime committed, but property owners have a responsibility to provide a safe environment for their patrons. When there are reasonable measures that could be taken to prevent injury or harm, but the measures were not implemented and injury resulted, the responsible parties may be held liable. Reasonable safety measures may include:
- Camera and surveillance systems
- Adequate lighting
- Security guards
If these and other precautions are not taken, innocent people may become victims of crimes including robbery, theft, assault, sexual assault, abduction and murder. In addition to the physical injuries associated with these crimes, emotional trauma may accompany these events. All of these factors must be taken into consideration when pursuing compensation from liable parties.
A bar known (or notorious) for fights, arguments, and drug use in the bathroom need far stricter security system than the bar at a movie theatre. These venues may require multiple bouncers, off-duty police officers to monitor the bar, serving drinks only in plastic cups (to prevent breaking glass), as well as securing tables and chairs to the floor. Bars and nightclubs with histories of this type are more likely to be held liable for injuries incurred in assaults.
What information is needed for a night club/ bar fight case?
- Report the incident to the management of the bar immediately. Failure to do so immediately does not make it impossible for you to file a case, but it does raise questions of validity. You should not wait. You should file a report by the next day at the latest.
- Get the names and phone numbers of witnesses surrounding the fight
- Get the names and phone numbers of witnesses who can give depictions of your assailant’s behavior prior to the fight (how much he/she was drinking, demeanor to other patrons, etc.)
- Remember, witnesses may not want to cooperate, but they can be critical in establishing your case
How Can The Bennett Law Center Help?
We understand how a night club or bar fight, brawls or assaults happen and are experienced with preparing demands for our injured clients to get them maximum compensation for their injuries. Our attorneys consult with experts and specialists to determine the impact of the injuries on our clients’ lives, the precise detail of the assault and the conditions that made the attack possible. We have over 20 years of experience handling these types of claims as well as the knowledge to be able to evaluate negligent security cases quickly and advise clients about the best course of action.